ROBERT "WOLF" McNALLY
Software Designer/Developer, iOS/Swift Specialist, Consultant, Technologist
Robert "Wolf" McNally
Recruiters: e-mail first, please.
- The most recent version of Robert's resume and an extensive list of professional projects is here.
- Robert's LinkedIn Profile is here.
- References upon request.
- Revised December, 2016.
- Decades of professional experience in the design, development, and management of mobile, entertainment, web, and educational software projects.
- The ability to understand the interests and language of technical, creative, and business professionals and bridge between them.
- The ability to instill people with a vision for a product or company.
- A love of mentoring, and the ability to make complex technical concepts easy to understand.
- An eye for detail, and a passion for quality.
- Mac OS/Cocoa
- Object-oriented Design
- User Interface Design
- Audio/Logic Pro
- Video/Final Cut Pro
- Leadership/Team Management
- Clear Writing/Public Speaking
- U.S. Citizen
Swift Architect, Vixlet LLC -- November 2015-December 2016
- Vixlet LLC provides a white-labeled social media platform to clients including Major League Baseball, The Association of Tennis Professionals, and the metal band Slipknot.
- Led technical redesign and redevelopment of existing iOS/Objective-C app into Swift.
- Trained and mentored existing and new staff on transitioning from Objective-C and best practices in Swift.
- Continuously reviewed codebase to identify and reduce sources of technical debt.
Founder, 2ALL Corporation -- January 2014-September 2015
- Self-funded startup, mobile communications/social media space.
- Working with iOS, Linux, Riak, Erlang/Elixir
iOS Developer, QuickPay Corporation -- August 2011-October 2014
- QuickPay Corp. (recently merged with LocoMobi, Inc.) is an innovative mobile parking payments provider.
- Responsible for all aspects of design and development of their flagship iOS app written in Objective-C using Apple technologies including MapKit, Location Services, Core Bluetooth, Core Motion, AutoLayout, Push Notifications, AVFoundation, and third-party technologies including TestFlight, MixPanel, and Crashlytics.
- Responsible for working with server engineers to specify REST/JSON mobile API.
- Developed internal tool written in Java to process PDF signage templates to add symbology such as unique QR-codes.
Director of Mobile Development, FitOrbit -- March 2011-July 2011
- FitOrbit provides customized personal fitness training by professional trainers, mediated through their web site and app.
- Developed detailed user interface concepts, specifications and partial implementations on their second-generation iOS app.
- Assisted in defining the document architecture for their second-generation back-end.
- Left company due to changing strategic requirements for mobile development talent.
Senior Software Engineer (Mobile), eHarmony -- April 2010-March 2011
- As the senior member of a very small development team, took eHarmony's concepts for its iPhone client app from drawings to 1.0 release of universal iPhone/iPad app.
- Working from initial concepts, suggested and implemented numerous UI improvements.
- Re-rendered almost all provided artwork in Adobe Illustrator to match technical constraints of platform and support iPhone 4 Retina Display.
- Managed entire App Store deployment process.
- Continued maintenance of app through current release, including addition of new features.
- Created library of generic iOS code now being used by another internal project team.
- Mentored engineering on iOS and Objective-C best practices.
- Mentored art staff on adopting resolution-independent artwork production methods.
- Contributed additional social media features using the Facebook platform to another eHarmony mobile product: Jazzed.
Technical Consultant (uncredited), Warner Bros. The Big Bang Theory -- Dec 2010
- Worked with Director, Producers, and Science Consultant to produce a number of mockup whiteboards representing imaginary iPhone apps for season 4 episode 12, The Bus Pants Utilization.
Client Architect, GOGII -- Oct 2009-Apr 2010
- Contributed to Gogii’s free texting iPhone/iPad app, TextPlus, including rewrite of network layer and extensive modifications to interface.
CTO, Evryx Technologies, Inc. -- May 2009-Sep 2009
- Invited to re-join Evryx as CTO when company received new bridge round financing.
- Worked to create strategic relationship with a major technology partner, and evaluated numerous third-party technologies for inclusion in company strategy.
- Assisted in developing company IP/patent/competition strategy.
- Managed other ongoing development including maintenance of legacy systems, and design of new iPhone software.
- Hired and managed new engineers implementing next-generation server architecture in Java.
VP Engineering, Evryx Technologies, Inc. -- Aug 2008-Nov 2008
- Evryx Technologies (LinkMeMobile.com) is a startup with technology in visual search for mobile devices.
- Lead existing engineering team of approximately 10 in analysis and redesign of existing technology.
- Developed and managed strategy for implementation of next generation of technology. Left company when company ran out of funds and all staff were laid off.
Contractor/Consultant, Applied Minds, Inc. -- Feb 2004-Present
- Applied Minds is a software/hardware think tank that invents and develops proof-of-concepts of innovative solutions for Fortune 100 clients.
- Designed and developed Flying Logic, an innovative planning application that combines interactive diagramming with animation. First version was developed for Mac OS X in Cocoa, and the second version in pure Java.
- Hired and managed a second engineer responsible for secondary UI and deployment tasks for Flying Logic.
- Participated in numerous meetings with client representatives on the West Coast and in the Washington DC area providing presentations on Flying Logic's use, market potential, IP and technology transfer issues, and business models.
Principal, Arciem LLC DBA Sciral -- Jan 2001-Present
- Created and self-published Sciral Consistency, an innovative personal productivity application using Cocoa. Rated "4 mice" by MacWorld Magazine. Managed port to Windows.
- Licensed and published Flying Logic under Sciral imprimatur.
- Created and published three iPhone applications: Harp (musical instrument), Sciral Consistency (productivity), and Star Journey (personal development.) Search for Arciem LLC in iPhone App Store.
Founding Member, PixelBlocks LLC -- Oct 2002-Jun 2005
- Licensed U.S. patent 5,267,863 from inventor Jay Simmons, and brought together partners with experience in product design, toy industry sales, and specialty toy retail. Together we formed PixelBlocks LLC and brought this innovative construction toy to market.
- Developed Java/WebObjects-based web site and IT infrastructure including custom e-commerce, order processing, and inventory management system.
- Actively participated in management affairs until mid-2005.
VP Engineering, Explorati, Inc. -- Feb 2001-Dec 2001
- Managed team of 9 senior engineers working full-time in several locations to produce a platform for real time multi-user interaction in a 3-D environment. Development involved Microsoft Windows, project management tools, source code control, Unreal Engine and Maya 3-D technology, and various off-the-shelf and custom electronic collaboration tools.
- Facilitated communication and collaboration among entire team of over 20 full-time staff including engineers, artists, designers, and executives.
Contractor, then VP Software Engineering, Altamira Group, Inc. -- 1997-2000
- Built engineering department from ground up during company transitional growth phase from 10 to 30 total employees.
- Hired and managed a multi-platform (Win/Mac/UNIX) internal development staff of 8, including a software architect, 4 software engineers, an MIS manager, and two QA engineers.
- Designed and developed Genuine Fractals, an award-winning Adobe Photoshop compatible format plug-in for compression and decompression of high-quality images using patented fractal/wavelet compression technology.
Independent Software Design, Development and Consulting -- 1996-1999
- Clients included MCI Worldcom, Kagi Payment Systems, Jim Henson's Creature Shop, Ziff-Davis Publishing, Legacy Educational Software, Futurekids Education Centers, and Walt Disney Imagineering.
Sabbatical -- 1995-1996
President & CEO / Creative Director, The Dreamers Guild, Inc. -- 1991-1995
- The Dreamers Guild, Inc. provided quality development services to major entertainment software publishers, with a full-time staff of over 40 including engineers, artists, musicians, QA, clerical, and management.
- Brought together the expertise that formed the nucleus of the company, and established the corporate vision and culture.
- Clients included Electronic Arts, Maxis, New World Computing, MPG-Net, Turner Interactive, Westwood Studios, Cyberdreams, MGM Interactive, Mindscape/Software Toolworks, and Apple Computer.
- Creator, Designer, and/or Technical Director for products in genres as diverse as multiplayer online games, adventures, cards/casino, and action/arcade.
Independent Software Developer -- 1979-1991
- Clients included Electronic Arts, NovaLogic, Cinemaware, Microillusions, Tiger Media, PEAL Educational Software, Miles Computing, Activision, Datamost, Sega, Passport Designs, and Edu-Ware Services.